Monday, July 20, 2009

Did I Just Confess to Murder?!

So, I'm the 2nd counselor in my ward's primary presidency. Primary is the name of the organization in charge of children ages 18 mos through 12 years. It was my turn to teach all the kids a few weeks ago.
We were talking about sinning and repentance and how we thanks to Jesus we can be forgiven of our sins and our mistakes. I explained it in simple terms to the younger group (under 8) with a couple of stories and questions, etc.
But with the older kids (9-12) I was going to add an analogy of sin and liken it to poison. That we can take poison and be sorry for taking it and if there is an antidote take that, too, but the antidote isn't going to take away all the effects (consequences) of having ingested the poison in the first place.
And I had a story about a show I saw on Animal Planet (Thanks, Big Boy!): There was a scientist who wanted to study the effects of a certain kind of poisonous snakebite and so he allowed himself to be bitten and observed by hospital staff and scientists. And he was in excruciating pain almost immediately (bet he was sorry, then!) and they gave him the antidote (repentance/atonement), but it would take several hours to work its way through his system and actually take away all the pain caused by the venom (consequences). See how I did that?
Anyway. I was up there in front of the kids and teachers, talking and talking, and I couldn't think of how to bring up the whole poison idea. This is what I said:

"So, I've been learning about poison, lately..."

And then I noticed two of the teachers (who know of Beloved's and my situation) smirking and trying to keep in a giggle.
Which made ME giggle.
So then I said, "wait, that didn't sound right...."
And then everyone started giggling.
I lost it, I couldn't stop thinking of the idea of me announcing to the kids and teachers in primary that I'm gonna poison somebody (which, I feel compelled to explain that I'M NOT gonna do that to anyone! OK).
Then I tried to stop laughing.
It didn't work. I giggled, the kids giggled, the teachers who know my situation were giggling, too.
Finally I got myself under control and finished my lesson.

Afterwards one of the teachers came up to me and said, "I'm sorry, I could not stop! I just kept thinking. OK, if the police come lookin' I'm going to have to tell them that she confessed it all right in church! But then I'd tell them that I am totally on your side and you were driven to it."

So at least I have someone who'll stand by me. ; )

5 comments:

Multiple personalities.. said...

That is too funny! I love that you do try and find a way to teach your lesson in ways your kids will understand, and the funny parts are just a bonus right? Have a great SItS day!

Alicia said...

That is hilarious!!
I am the Primary pianist, and I love just sitting back and listening to everything. Kids are awesome.
Last fast Sunday, the Primary President gave out rice crispy treats to the kids (they earned them by being well-behaved for weeks on end), and she said, "Save these and don't eat them until you get home." To which my funny little neighbor girl shouted, "WHY?!" The Primary President said, "It's Fast Sunday." And my neighbor groaned, "Oh, that don't matter! I had a big ol' bowl of cereal this morning and my mom did too!" Her mom would die if she knew half the stuff her girl tells us. Ha ha!

MiMi said...

THAT is awesome! I saw that show too, that guy was an IDIOT!
That has me giggling too...poison. Ha!
Macey

MochaTrina said...

FUNNY! I actually learned a lesson from your blog. Like I always say...you gotta laugh to keep from crying.

JennyMac said...

Oh, that is cute. LOL.