Thursday, August 27, 2009

Boy do I suck at short posts...

I notice that I'm not terribly clear in my posts. I know what I am trying to say, and I just assume others do too. So I figure that is something I need to work on...

Anyway, I'll clarify a little as I answer some of the comments from my 'Sundays' post.

Beloved is still going to church. Just not our home ward. He is going to the ward that is near his new place. He doesn't want to face the people in our ward (as I understand it) because he'll be wondering who knows and who is looking at him wall-eyed and who is going to say something to him about it. Which, I think is funny, because I can't imagine anyone saying anything to him about it. None of our friends are like that.

[funny side note about people at church coming up and talking to him: Three weeks after I found out what was happening, I made him go to church with us, and immediately after Sacrament meeting (LDS church meetings are 3 hours long on Sundays, consisting of a sacrament service with everyone all together, then a sunday school hour and then an hour where the men meet together in their quorums, the women meet together, the young women , the young men, etc.) a gentleman came up to Beloved, shook his hand and said, "Beloved, I've got to know what you are doing. You have got to tell me right now." Beloved just blanched. He looked ill. The guy must have seen the look on his face and so he continued (after a long pause) "...'cause I am trying to lose weight and it just isn't working. How much have you lost, man?!" The color rushed back into Beloved's face and he talked about how he's lost 40 lbs and that he's been working out, etc. That, as far as I know, is the closest anyone has come to 'confronting' him. And that wasn't even confronting him! It was just poor word choice by someone who knew absolutely nothing about the situation. Which was pretty funny, if you ask me.]

And I didn't mean that people are being nosey about the situation. It's more that, well, Beloved is one of those people who are...beloved. There was always some brother stopping him to talk BYU football (Beloved's other religion) and some young man or young woman stopping Beloved in the hall to chat (he taught early morning seminary for about 2 years) or something. I tease him that it is usually the wife who is the reason families are so slow in leaving after church because the women are always talking, but for us he is the one in the halls chatting it up with everyone. People notice he isn't there.

And I don't feel embarrassed by this situation I find myself in. It's funny:
Rocky, you said you are trying to get me to stop apologizing. I don't know who you are, but guess what...I apologize wayyyy too much. I always have. I tend to take responsibility for everything. Things that I have no control over I still feel like "maybe there is something I could have done...maybe it is because I'm a rotten person...maybe if I had only (fill in the blank)". In high school my friends little brother knocked some girl up and I felt somehow guilty for it. I know. Ridiculous, but there you have it. It's me. Somehow it is my own failings that cause the sorrow in this world.

Except now.

Now, when I should really feel the weight of those emotions crushing down on me--I don't. I admit there have been mistakes I made, and I intend not to make them again. But embarrasment, shame, self-consciousness? I don't feel it.
Weird.

Now, do I feel guilty for those whose stomachs ache because of what I am going through? TOTALLY. I had a friend tell me tonight that she thinks about me every day, all day. I said 'I'm so sorry'. Because: I get that I have to deal with this, and occasionally feel sick or angry or grieve over it. But that's 'cuz it's my life. But that others have to feel that way...I just feel awful. And yet, this isn't my fault. Or is it? If I weren't so darn loveable... Kidding. Totally kidding.

I don't want them to go to his place because it's just one room in his friend's basement that he lives in. Beloved originally asked if he could have the kids take turns having sleepovers with him. One or two at a time, because they'd have to hang out in his room or something like that. I said no. Just...no. I remember going to see my dad some weekends and feeling so sorry for him to see how he was living. And he had his own apartment...not...a room in someone's basement. I just, hated that feeling. I can see Big Girl totally internalizing it like I did at that age. So not good.

And, frankly, it's Sunday. They are my kids. I want to be with them. And truthfully I want Beloved to be able to spend Sunday with us. It's just that some days are harder than others, you know?

And I don't "hate dealing with" Beloved or his "crap". Well, I am sick of it. But it isn't an angry sort of feeling. It's more...like, "ugh, are we still doing this?"

And I would love an apology (btw, Rocky--I love the words 'profuse' and 'profusely'...just...fyi) but not right now. And mostly because he doesn't really feel sorry. I mean, he has told me he's sorry, but it is such a vague kind of "i'm-sorry-about-all-the-starving-children-in-china" kind of disconnected "i'm sorry", you know? Did that make sense? Just to be clear: he's not apologizing for starving children in China. I just mean that his "i'm sorry" to me feels like...like I'm not a real person so my 'hurt' is kind of vague and theoretical to him. OK. Perhaps that was more confusing...
Dang.

And Wonder Woman: I like that idea. Sometimes I just need to step outside of myself and get out of my 'this is my life' muck, you know? I think I may just take that bit of advice. Blondie brownies, mmmmmm.....

**Edited Post! I am a dork and typed "Saturday" instead of "Sunday" for church. Durrr. Thanks, BFF for pointing it out. Moco... ; )**

11 comments:

Karen said...

Gigi, I'm glad to know you're hanging in there. Do NOT feel guilty about the fact that I've been worried about you! I know just what you mean, though. I'm like you. I feel guilty sometimes about things that have nothing to do with me.

But stop it! :-)

And I know exactly what you mean about Beloved "I'm sorry's."

MiMi said...

I still think you are awesome and are doing a great job with this whole situation. Give your kids extra hugs from all your blog followers who feel for you and them! : )

Gretchen said...

Just A thought. I know it was hard to see your dad like that, but was there anything "good" about it? Maybe not at the time, but overall. Our experiences are what make us who we are and you are soooo awesome I was just wondering that even though it was tough, it may have contributed to the compassion you have now for others, as well as other good atributes.

With that said, I agree with your decision and know that you are doing a great job at following your gut {aka - the spirit}in all you do and that you have your kids best interest at heart. You are doing a great job at helping them deal with this.

Yeah, I've always noticed that about you! {the whole guilt & sorry thingy} I used to wish that you didn't do that because then I felt bad and guilty {I know your saying sorry in your head right now!:}so sometimes I would avoid saying things to which I know that would be your reply even if you didn't need to... but then I realize that is just who you are. I adore everyting about you even little quirks like that one... It again is what makes you, you and, my dear, as we all has stated... ARE PRETTY AWESOME!
Love Ya Lots!

wonder woman said...

I get it. I think I got it before this post, but now I really get it. Sundays are so different all together, and just magnify your situation. This day that has always been all about family is very different now. And it's just hard.

I really think you should come up with something new to do on Sundays. Something that makes the day different than before, and something you can look forward to. You know what I mean? There's kind of a hole in your Sundays now (ish) and that hole needs to be filled with something new. Maybe? I don't know. I might just be making all this up.

I don't know how to do short posts, either. Or short comments. Ü

mama-face said...

count me in as one who loves ya. all day. all the time...

Gigi, You are extremely articulate at expressing yourself and don't you forget it. And certainly don't apologize for it! (Gosh, I know someone who is quite similar to you.) ;0

Rachelle said...

Hi Gigi, I'm one of your embarrassed faithful blog fans that never comments on anything. I just never know what to say but my sisters told me I should comment so you don't think I'm one of those creepers out there. So I just want you to know that you are absolutely hilarious. I love reading your blog. It makes me laugh out loud almost EVERY time I read it! (I say almost because some of them make me want to cry too). I love how strong you are in this sucky situation and I love that you are so light-hearted about it and find a way to be funny still. Your story is one that I'm so glad you are sharing. It really is helping so many of us be aware of how real stuff like this is. Well there you go. I commented! Yay! Keep posting, I'll keep reading! You are GREAT I really look up to you!

The Johnson Family said...

Rachelle-it's about time! lol Gigi, love your posts! I agree with wonder woman. Maybe change things up on Sunday so it's more of a day that you look forward to.
Sunday walk with the family or maybe you do something one on one with each kid alone (maybe rotate who's special day it is).

MiMi said...

I have an award for you! Like mama-face says...you are very articulate and I thought you should have this neat-o award. :)

"Q" said...

I love Blondie's! Sorry, when I read that I forgot everything else.

♥ Braja said...

We all just do what we gotta do, don't we?

RoryPaints said...

Ok, I thought that "confrontation" scene at church was HILARIOUS! I could totally picture it in my mind! And STOP apologizing! It's true that you do that a lot, but we all love you for it because you ARE kind and compassionate and loving...and that's what makes you so gosh darn lovable. Am I rambling?

Anyway, I LOVED the comment about doing something fun on Sundays...oh and just so you know, the LDS church I belong to has their meetings on Sunday, not Saturday ;) You might want to change that on your post! haha! Love you and I've been thinking of you!