Saturday, January 2, 2010

A New Perspective, or, A Visit With The Emissions-Tester-Guy

Is it just me, or does that second title have a certain ring to it? ; )

So, it was the last day of the year in 2009.

And I had to get my emissions test done for my van so I could get my registration renewed. Oh, and it was the last day of the grace-period month as well. (I probably didn't have to mention that, but I guess that just helps you to get to know me better...)

I got to the Emissions Testing Center just a few minutes after they opened so I didn't have much of a wait. I made a dork of myself while trying to prepare my car for the test (read: cleaning up tissues, putting away my ipod, etc.) but we won't go into further explanation of that. I went into the waiting room and...waited. It didn't take long and in about 10 minutes I was outside giving my check to the Emissions-Tester-Guy.

Don't you love it when people are cheery and friendly? I do. This guy greeted me with this wide grin and asked me how I was doing, and when I inquired into his day he smiled and said, "I'm living the dream, ma'am, I'm living the dream!" in the most good-natured way. Now, it was f-r-e-e-z-i-n-g outside, and if it were me I would have been griping about commenting on the cold. We chatted for a bit as he finished printing up my paperwork.

And he said, "Aren't you glad to see 2009 end?" And then he said something about starting a new year. OK. I know what you are thinking: Duh, Gigi. It was New Year's Eve, of course the conversation would go something like that. And you are right. But for some reason when Emissions-Tester-Guy said that it went straight to my heart and I thought, "Yeah. OK. I can say this year is over and behind me. I can choose to start anew and maybe even think anew."

I think this is a perspective I wouldn't have found on my own. Is that ridiculous? Probably. Perhaps anyone else would have already thought of it.

But I didn't, and so I am grateful for some friendly banter with a perfect stranger on December 31st.

Here is to a New Year.

And here is wishing Joy and Blessings for you and your families in 2010.

(hee hee. I was typing fast and I typed 2019. That would have been funny: "Hey, hope you have joy and blessings in 2019. and for 2010 i'm sending you patience. you know, 'cause you'll need it if you have to wait until 2019 for joy and blessings!")

9 comments:

Karen said...

I really can't believe it's a new year. 2010. How did that happen?

I, for one, am glad to see 2009 fade into the background and become history. It's been a tough year. I know my trials pale in comparison to anyone else's, but still. It was hard and I didn't like it and I'm happy to move on.

I hope 2010 is AWESOME for you and your family!

MochaTrina@Me So Hongry... said...

Good luck to you and your family in 2010.

MiMi said...

I hope 2010 is a very healing year for you!

Valerie said...

I am glad to see 2009 gone too. I feel like it was a bad year but then again I reconnected with God and I also got a new grandson. Can't really put my finger on why I feel like it was a bad year. I know you can! I am wishing you blessings and joy for your new year too! I've been around for a long while but I don't think I have ever commented. lol

Teresa @ ♥ TOO MANY HEARTBEATS ♥ said...

I hope this year brings you nothing but Joy and Happiness, Peace and Blessings.

Teresa <><

http://toomanyheartbeats.blogspot.com/

Cloe said...

I almost could not believe I was reading my story on line. Only my cheated twice. I can't say I would have the courage to put it out there but enjoyed reading and don't feel so alone now. Not sure I am staying. Things have not gotten better for us. It's really sad.

Best wishes

Anonymous said...

I just don't know how you could ever trust him anymore. I also don't know how you don't second guess everything he does. You must be a lot stronger and braver than I could ever be?

prashant said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Johnson Family said...

Gigi is an amazing woman, mother, wife, and friend. God is on their side and so glad things are going well. The healing will come! :)